Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Agreed! Don’t Let the Pandemic End a 100-Year-Old Soccer Legacy

Photo Source: NY Times

Disclosure:  I am biased as a lifelong footballer and as my brother, Alex Bearman, is the Executive Director of District Sports Soccer, I sympathize with supporters of the Beautiful Game.

This article in the NY Times really caught my eye, in which the Cosmopolitan Soccer League remains on hold secondary to COVID-19.  With proper precautions, as highlighted here by the CDC,  amateur sports can reduce the risk of COVID-19.  With soccer, as the game is played outdoors and as some league are moving to a modified 7 vs 7 (60 minutes) instead of 11 vs 11 (90 minutes),  the risk is further decreased. People with debilitating and chronic conditions are rarely (if ever) on the field. Handshakes are no longer allowed, the only shared equipment is the game ball.

Few things are ever fully risk free.

I will be back on the pitch this Sunday at 9:00 a.m. with Richmond City FC