|Mosquito control poster- Ministry of Health|
Hicaca and environs is about to push off.
Highlights for the upcoming brigade include:
- Reassessment of chlorine water sanitation project efficacy for sustainable potable water
- Re-deployment of home water filters for improvement of water sanitation, as summarized here.
- Ongoing implementation of new indoor cookstoves for improved indoor air quality, as previously summarized here.
- Ongoing deworming and assessment of mass deworming efficacy, in collaboration with Dr. Ana Sanchez of Brock University, Ontario, Canada.
- Ongoing installation of latrines to scale, in collaboration with the Pico Bonito Foundation, to minimize open defecation and the transmission of soil transmitted helminths
- At the request of the local Ministry of Health, as part of the station based clinic process- targeted, formal educational messages will be delivered. This will include messages to prevent diarrheal illnesses, respiratory illnesses and mosquito,vector-borne diseases such as Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika virus.
- Ongoing cervical pap smear assessments in collaboration with local public health authorities
As always, plans are fluid and subject to the unexpected nature of things in Honduras.
VCU News is with us this year, filming a short documentary.