Monday, December 20, 2010

D.I.Y Science: Geek to Chic?

I have heard of D.I.Y. fashion, websites etc., but D.I.Y science? The epicenter of this nascent movement is in Brooklyn and was recently featured in the NY Times.

Quoting from the article, the goal “ is to promote science as a viable hobby for children and adults. ‘The more people get their hands dirty in a lab, the less likely they’ll be to have knee-jerk reactions to things like stem-cell research and genetically modified organisms’…..”

The movement is a motley group of amateur scientists who, empowered by internet based access to information, are performing research in their D.I.Y Labs. D.I.Y Science may be best represented by DIYbio.

What sort of long term impact this may have is largely unknown. Perhaps it can interest young students to pursue a career in medicine. The AAMC predicts a significant physician shortage in the USA, so any boost in interest is welcomed.