Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Crushing the Virus in the USA: Does it Play Out in Reality?

Source NY Times

(Photo Credit: NY Times)

I read with much interest this article by Dr. Michael Osterholm on how to crush the virus until a vaccine arrives.  

Let me first say that I have shared the lecture podium with Dr. Osterholm at a medical conference.  His passion for infectious diseases and public health is both palpable and admirable,  as are his academic achievements.

The argument for a 6 week stay at home order to 'crush the virus' is likely correct.

However, will it play out in reality?  Is there any politician gutsy enough to follow through? Is the American ethos of rugged individualism and government mistrust insurmountable? 

I am skeptical, as are some of my colleagues.  Our perspective is published here (available open access).

The U.S. COVID-19 response has been bungled and I am not optimistic that we will self correct.