Monday, March 25, 2019

CDC HAI Progress Report, Nuance and Infection Prevention Diminishing Returns

Source: University of Greenwich
I am back in my native Argentina enjoying family, food, culture and futbol

I am always partly disappointed when I read the CDC Current HAI Progress Report

On one level, these reports are potent reminders that we can always do better in our infection prevention efforts. However, important nuance, in my opinion, is missing.

The extent to which hospital acquired infections can be truly prevented with current science is explored here by us. Not all HAIs are preventable. I would argue that some infection prevention reductions, such as the 13% reduction in C. difficile infections as reported by the CDC are largely due to diagnostic stewardship strategies (reducing false positive results) rather than actually preventing infections.

I seek a performance summary of how we are faring in our efforts to reduce all potentially preventable infections  and how effectively we are implementing evidence based strategies (hand hygiene, checklists, chlorhexidine patient bathing etc). That would be telling.

Last, and this may be unpopular with some, the more we reduce potentially preventable infections, the remaining opportunities for improvement decrease, thus resulting in an infection prevention diminishing returns. 

Challenging.

For a change of pace later in the week I will be attending the VIII Congreso Internacional de la LenguaEspañola en Córdoba.