Friday, January 11, 2019

Blogging is Dead. Long Live Blogging: The Golden Age of Blogging Has Passed.

My medical blog launched in 2010. Blogging, however, is losing its relevance.

This intriguing article in the National Post (Canadian newspaper) titled The Brief Life of Blogging summarizes the meteoric rise and decline of blogging popularity. The same theme is also explored (briefly) in a book I recently read-  Anti-Social Media: How Facebook Disconnects Us and Undermines Democracy by University of Virginia Professor Siva Vaidhyanathan (book review by The Guardian accessible here). The golden age of blogging was from 2002-2007 per Professor Vaidhyanathan.

True. Blogging is less popular but not yet obsolete.  In a limited attempt to increase the relevance of my blog I have linked each new blog to a Twitter post. That is about the extent of my tweeting.

Although a blog is less academic than a peer reviewed journal article and although I have few if any followers, I find the exercise still personally enriching. Blogging allows me to publicly express my perspectives in concise, targeted posts with hyperlinked references, with hopefully some meaning and relevance, as I have previously explored here

Writing still matters.

Blogging is dead. Long Live Blogging.