Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dry Hands from Hand Washing? Well, Here is Some Data for You.


Okay, I may have a one track mind lately. Here I go again, focusing on hand hygiene.

For those hand hygiene laggards, specifically, those who resist the use of alcohol based hand santizers, a recent prospective study compared the effects of traditional hand washing vs. alcohol based hand hygiene rubs. The results of 1932 assessments show that traditional handwashing is a risk factor for dryness and irritation, whereas the use of an alcohol based hand rub causes no skin deterioration and might have a protective effect on skin health.

Alcohol based sanitizers are effective and cause less skin irritation, so why hold back?  Get with the times.

On a different note, I have been skiing this week. Below is a photo I snapped of the medical ski patrol gurney-sleds, nicely lined up, awaiting a call to action. I hope not to experience them in the first hand.