Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Something Has Been Changed In My Life: The Talking Heads, MALDI-TOF and Central Line Bloodstream Infections

David Byrne of the Talking Heads: Give Me Back My Name
I have been radio silent the last several days. The VCU ID consult service has been high volume!     

I am proud to have published this concise article with colleagues from Philadelphia and Dr. Chris Doern of Virginia Commonwealth University, my home institution. Bottom line, our report explores the potential impact that mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF) can have on CDC defined central-line associated bloodstream infections (CLABSI). With MALDI-TOF, previously classified skin commensals can now be identified as pathogens thus meeting the CDC criteria for a reportable CLABSI.

What is the scope of the problem? Unknown thus far. With increased use of MALDI-TOF, the issue may be burgeoning. The CDC may need to reassess the CLABSI definition and its surveillance associated master organism list.

Thanks to Dr. Dan Diekema for a cool blog post on the article, with an associated Talking Heads song (Give me back my name, something has been changed in my life - lyrics here). 

One my favorite bands.  I have the LP spinning on my turntable as I type this blog post.